Sample Question 19

For this question part C

I don't understand why we can group them.

For Auto LOB, you can't legally use credit score for rating, so why are we allowed to group them together? Is grouping different from rating? When they say grouping, does it just have to do with how it is reported? Or does it have to do with classification and setting rates? If its for setting rates, how can we use credit score as criteria for grouping?

Comments

• You can use credit score for Auto, just not in Ontario.
    Grouping just refers to ensuring similar risks are placed together. If credit score isn't a factor for rating, then why shouldn't they be grouped together as they'd be seen as virtually identical? Grouping depends on classification, to the extent that it will identify cohorts that are onerous and is a main factor for reporting.
    I suggest you reread the measurement considerations under ifrs17 which explains what groupings and level of aggregations are.
  • edited April 28

Thanks @Staff-T1, really appreciate you answering questions on the weekend! Last push for us haha.

Also for part B.

I just noticed that the first line says "A loss component is evaluated in for the group of contracts below"

Since a loss component was already evaluated, wouldn't that automatically mean they are all onerous since there is a loss component?

Also follow up question for Part C. It was stated in the wiki that:

In this case the group with lower credit score is onerous, shouldn't we not group it with the rest of the PPA contracts?

Since groups need to separate onerous and non onerous?

• I think what they're implying here is that they are evaluating for a loss component, not that there is necessarily a loss component. But yes if they already have a loss component then it would for sure be onerous, which would be too simple and clearly not what they are looking for given that it is a 2 mark question. Groups need to be separated if they are onerous, but it also depends on other considerations - i.e. if only 2% of the book is onerous from a credit score perspective, then it wouldn't make sense logistically to split it out. There is no "right" answer here. You're supposed to take a stance and defend it as the answer key accepts both grouping and not grouping them together